Roll-up stations are recommended for larger swimming pools, so that when the pool is in use, the thermal cover can be rolled up and stored neatly at one end of the pool. PowerPlastics’ thermal covers are available in blue and black and can be manufactured to suit all sizes of swimming pool.
Save Energy to Save Money and Save Your Environment
By Maya Aberman who tells you how and why you should try to save energy. Please note that the figures have increased substantially since this article was written, however the concept of saving energy to help save the environment remains the same.
“In 2018, the average annual electricity consumption for a U.S. residential utility customer was 10,972 kilowatthours (kWh), an average of about 914 kWh per month. Tennessee had the highest annual electricity consumption at 15,394 kWh per residential customer, and Hawaii had the lowest at 6,213 kWh per residential customer” U.S. Energy Information Administration
Save energy to save money
How much does the average electric bill cost? The average monthly electricity bill in the US is $110.76.
Typical mid-income households spend R170 to R300 in South Africa on electricity every month (Note these are 2009 figures) using between 500 and 800 units or kilowatt-hours (kWh). Most households could easily save 20–30 percent of this.
Save energy to save water
Power stations use two liters of water for every unit of electricity (kWh) generated.
Save energy to reduce ‘greenhouse’ gas emissions
In South Africa electricity is generated from coal, which produces carbon dioxide (CO2) when burnt (about 1.1kg per 1kWh used). This is the main contributor to global warming, which is expected to have catastrophic impacts. Fuel combustion in cars is also responsible for substantial CO2 emissions (about 0.3kg CO2 per every 1km driven).
Save energy to reduce air pollution
Air pollution is caused by car fumes and by burning coal to generate electricity.
Buy a pool cover and install a pool-pump time switch
This will keep your pool warm and clean, at the same time reducing the energy and money you need to spend on heating and running your pool pump.
Install solar water heating
Solar water heating methods can be used to heat both your pool and tap water. This uses a renewable source of energy and will pay back in electricity-saving over a just few years. If you are building a new house or pool, it is a sound economic choice as the estimated savings are anything from 20–40 percent of the total electricity bill (saving depends on hot water use patterns).
Insulate your ceiling
It is estimated that you can save half your electricity bill by insulating you ceiling.
Use compact fluorescent light bulbs
These light bulbs last much longer and use a quarter of the electricity for the same light output as a ‘normal’ light bulb. Also, each compact fluorescent installed saves about 500 kg of CO2 emissions over its lifetime, by using less electricity!
Design your house using energy-saving principles
When designing a house:
- make the best use of natural light by including north-facing windows and skylights
- incorporate energy-saving lighting (LEDs)
- design roof overhangs to keep summer sun out but let winter sun in
- install ceilings wherever possible as it is difficult to warm up a double-volume house
- use thermally efficient building materials and insulate your walls and floors well
NOTE: Maya Aberman was a campaign co-ordinator at Earthlife Africa (ELA), a membership-driven organisation of environmental and social justice activists, founded to mobilise civil society around environmental issues in relation to people. ELA Johannesburg was established in 1988.
You Can DIY Solar Heat Your Pool, Here Are Above Ground & Below Ground Options
See larger image
SunHeater Pool Heating System Two 2’ x 20’ Panels – Solar Heater for Inground and Aboveground Made of Durable Polypropylene, Raises Temperature, 6-10°F, S240U (Lawn & Patio)
- SOLAR POOL HEATER – The SunHeater Solar Pool Heating System allows you to capture free heat from the sun’s rays to effectively raise your pool water temperature. It’s an efficient and cost-effective method to heat your pool.
- EXTENDS POOL SEASON – Your pool’s pump pushes the water through the panel’s many tubes where it’s warmed by the sun and then returned into the pool. This system can raise the water temperature 6-10 degrees F and extend your pool season by weeks!
- EASY TO INSTALL – This pool solar heater uses your existing filtration system and has 4 end caps, 2 elbows for flex hose connection, 6 stainless steel hose clamps, 1 roll of Teflon tape, and rubber connector hoses.
- TUBE ON WEB DESIGN – The tube-web-tube design allows the SunHeater to capture the most sun possible, maximizing square footage. It offers rigid flexibility, allowing panels to expand and contract with changing temps, giving it the strength needed to last.
- DIMENSIONS – The SunHeater Solar Pool Heater includes two 2’ x 20’ panels, made of durable polypropylene. It’s a universal system that works for pools up to 31’ round or 18’ x 36’.
See larger image
SOLARPOOLSUPPLY Highest Performing Design – DIY Solar Pool Heater System Kit – 15-20 Year Life Expectancy [4-4×12 / 2″ I.D. Header]
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Manufactured from high-grade materials proven to last in all types of weather and withstand the harsh conditions of a rooftop for up to 15-20 years. Each panel is put up against more than 40 quality control inspections throughout the entire manufacturing process to ensure the final product.
- MANUFACTURED TO LAST: Made from precompounded polypropylene, significantly increasing the materials resistance to UV light and lengthening service life substantially. This manufacturing process eliminates the inherent quality issues that plague cheaply manufactured products which typically see a lifespan of only 1-2 years (more in description).
- HIGHEST PERFORMING DESIGN: Constructed in a tube-and-web design which allows for normal expansion and contraction as the panel heats and cools, extending service life. A direct, metered manifold delivers a balanced flow through the collector and prevents hot-spots. These panels must be installed vertically for optimal performance and drainage.
- ASSURANCE GUARANTEED: Each panel is guaranteed to be free from manufacturer defects, withstand the effects of freezing weather and will not fail from corrosion or scale deposits in the walls of its water passages (5-year full / 10-year limited).
- DO IT YOURSELF: Includes everything you need to mount the solar panels to a roof or rack, secure with hold down strapping, make connections to and from each solar panel, complete water connections to the system’s supply and return plumbing lines, and the components necessary to allow gravity drainage of the panels and piping.