Avoid Sunburn and the Risk of Skin Cancer
The burning issue every summer is finding ways to protect our skin from the damaging rays of the sun. In a nutshell this means you need to avoid sunburn.
An article from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration on sunscreens: “How to help protect your skin from the sun” and the CDC (Centers For Disease Control) : Sun Safety. give useful tips to on safety in the sun. In Addition a spokesman from the Child Accident Prevention Foundation of Southern Africa (CAPFSA) warns that our children are at particular risk. She says particular care should be taken to protect the skin of babies and children outdoors. “The sun is not the kind friend our parents thought it was. Today, it’s not just sunburn we need to worry about but also the increased risk of skin cancer tomorrow. A young child’s skin will receive enough sunlight to cause burning after only a few minutes exposure.”
Although most of us realize we have to take extra precautions during hot summer days, CAPFSA warns us to remember that damage may be caused to the skin even on a mild sunny day. A baby’s skin is very delicate and can burn easily, and it is always best to avoid allowing children in the sun in the middle of the day.
Keep Out of Harm
The first line of defense for young babies is to keep them out of the sun altogether. Always keep your baby in the shade and use hats, umbrellas and covered prams. Always protect their sensitive skins with sunscreen formulated specially for babies.
Get a Head Start
Wearing a sun hat is vital especially for children playing in the sun. Hats need to be wide rimmed to keep the sun off the face as well as the back of the neck – a vital area which is often forgotten. Once children are active you need a hat that will stay on their heads and is comfortable to wear.
Choose a sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (15 plus) and check that it offers both UVA and UVB protection. Ensure that areas such as lips and nose are properly covered as well as the back of the neck, legs and feet. Use zinc cream for total block-out on your child’s nose or other small areas. Apply sunscreen on your child before going out in the sun and re-apply regularly (preferably 20 minutes before going outdoors to allow for proper absorption). Always use water-resistant sunscreens when your child is going to be swimming.
Sun Safe Tips
- Keep children out of the sun between the hours of 11 am and 3 pm when the sun is at it’s strongest.
- Make maximum use of the shade.
- Wear a tee shirt when on the beach or at the pool.
- Always wear a hat.
- Cover any exposed parts of the face and body with sunscreen.
- Protect eyes with sunglasses.
Here Are A Couple Of Essentials For Burns And Sunburn To Keep Handy
See larger image
Alocane Emergency Burn Gel, 4% Lidocaine Maximum Strength Fast Pain and Itch Relief for Minor Burns, Sunburn, Kitchen, Radiation, Chemical, First Degree Burns, First Aid Treatment Burn Care 2.5 Fl Oz (Health and Beauty)
- ALOCANE BURN GEL is a water based formula with an efficient proprietary transfer vehicle that quickly absorbs deep into the layers of skin. Soothing Aloe Gel and Vitamin E, assists the healing process
- WITH THE 4% LIDOCAINE, which is the maximum percentage of Lidocaine allowed by the US FDA for over the counter products, it relieves pain fast while soothes the skin and helps with fast itch relief
- RECOMMENDED BY PHYSICIANS AND PHARMACISTS to use on First Degree Burns and including: Flame, Sunburn, Kitchen Burns, Electricity burns, heat, light, Itches, Rashes, Bug Bites, Shingles and much more
- EASY TO APPLY generously to the burned area up to 4 times daily, Treat Any Burn even 1st degree burns, clear gel, immediate burn relief, little to no smell, Recommended for Children and Adults
- THE BRAZILIAN ALOE GEL has a cooling effect on the itchy hot skin and promotes healing while the Lidocaine decreases healing time while stopping the burning fast. A Must have for your First Aid Kit
See larger image
Natural Aloe Vera Leaf Gel – 100% Pure Aloe Leaf Gel for Face and Body After Sun Care – From Fresh Aloe Plants in USA – Hydrating Gel for Sunburn, Acne – No Clumping or Pulp – Non Sticky (64 oz) (Misc.)
- REVIVE YOUR SKIN WITH: The combined power of Aloe Vera, Orchid Stem Cells, Cucumber and Apple Stem Cells improves your skin defense shield, allowing your skin to recover quickly from wounds, fight skin irritations, and stimulate quick regeneration of skin cells. Made in the USA
- SOOTHES AND RELAXES YOUR SKIN AND SCALP! Aloe Vera enzymes help soothe and moisturize your skin thus stimulating the production of natural moisturizing oils, while preventing dryness and itchiness. Perfect relief for sunburns, acne, dry skin and itch!
- DEEP MOISTURIZER WITHOUT THE GREASY FEELING. It hydrates dry, itchy, flaky skin and scalp without the greasy feel. Use it as a make up base to prevent drying of your skin. Perfect for oily skin!
- IMPROVE THE APPEARANCE OF SCARS AND STRETCH MARKS! Apple stem cells speed up skin renewal by stimulating the production of human stem cells while it protects the skin from stress and decreases wrinkles.
- HAVE A YOUNGER-LOOKING, FRESH, AND HYDRATED SKIN! As our gel replenishes moisture, it also stimulates the production of elastin and collagen for rejuvenation. It is also rich with antioxidants like beta carotene, vitamin C and E, fighting signs of aging.